Sami And Kılıç
Assistant Professor, full-time
skilic #at# boun.edu.tr
|Ph.D.||Civil Engineering||Stanford University, California, USA||1997|
|M.S.||Civil Engineering||University of California, Berkeley, USA||1990|
|B.S.||Civil Engineering||Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey||1989|
|Visiting Senior Research Scientist||Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA||June-August 2005|
|Visiting Senior Research Scientist||Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA||June-August 2004|
|Senior Research Scientist||Purdue University, Computing Research Institute, W.L., IN, USA||Jan.-Dec. 2003|
|Visiting Scientist||Purdue University, School of Civil Engineering, W.L., IN, USA||Jan.-Dec. 2002|
SCI/SCI-Expanded Refereed Journal Publications
- Kilic, S. A., Numerical Study on the Uplift Response of RC Slabs Subjected to Blasts, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Open Access available, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/%28ASCE%29CF.1943-5509.0000971, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 31(3), 1-9, June/July 2017.
- Kilic, S. A., Raatschen, H. J. , Körfgen, B., Apaydin, N. M., Astaneh-Asl, A., FE Model of the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Suspension Bridge Using Thin Shell Finite Elements, Arab. Jou. Sci. Eng., Open Access available, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13369-016-2316-y, Springer, 42(3), 1103-1116, March 2017.
- Erdik, A., Kilic, S.A., Kilic, N., Bedir, S., Numerical simulation of armored vehicles subjected to undercarriage landmine blasts, Shock Waves Journal, Open Access available, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00193-015-0576-1, Springer, 26(4), 449-464, July/August 2016.
- Gencturk, B., Mullapudi, T., Kilic, S.A., Erdik, M., Capacity Assessment of the Titus Tunnel Bridge Using Analytical and Numerical Techniques, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/%28ASCE%29CF.1943-5509.0000408, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 28(2), 349–362, April/May 2014.
- Kilic, S.A., Saied, F., Sameh, A., Efficient Iterative Solvers for Structural Dynamics Problems, Computers & Structures, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.06.001, Elsevier, 82(28), 2363–2375, 2004.
- Hoffmann, C., Popescu, V., Kilic, S., Sozen, M., Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization: The Pentagon on September 11th, Computing in Science & Engineering, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MCISE.2004.1255821, IEEE, 6(1), 52–60, 2004.
- Kilic, S.A., Sozen, M.A., Evaluation of Effect of August 17, 1999, Marmara Earthquake on Two Tall Reinforced Concrete Chimneys, American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14359/12611, American Concrete Institute, 100(3), 357–364, 2003.
Refereed Book Chapter
- Kilic, S.A., Effect of Ordering for Iterative Solvers in Structural Mechanics Problems, High-Performance Scientific Computing: Algorithms and Applications, Eds. Berry, M.W., Gallivan, K.A., Gallopoulos, E., Grama, A., Philippe, B., Saad, Y., Saied, F., DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2F978-1-4471-2437-5_12 , Springer, Chapter 12, pp. 251-260, 2012.
- Kilic, S.A., Akyniyazov, D., Altay, S., An Investigation of Opening Reinforcement Configurations for Reinforced Concrete Chimneys, ICCT 2016 International Conference on Industrial Chimneys & Cooling Towers, pp. 213-218, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 5-8 October 2016.
- Kilic, S.A., Raatschen, H.J., Körfgen, B., Astaneh-Asl, A., Apaydin, N.M., Finite Element Modeling of the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Suspension Bridge, MSLB 2015, Conference on Multi-span Large Bridges, CRC Press, Eds. Pacheco, P. & Magalhaes, F., University of Porto, pp. 403-404, Porto, Portugal, 1-3 July 2015.
- Kilic, S.A., Altay, S., Simulation of the Cyclic Hysteretic Response of Reinforced Concrete Chimneys , ICCT 2014 International Conference on Industrial Chimneys & Cooling Towers, pp. 271-277, Prague, Czech Republic, 8-11 October 2014.
- Kilic, S.A., Selamet, S., Symmetric and Asymmetric Collapse Mechanisms of a Multi-Story Steel Structure Subjected to Gravity and Fire, American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE 2013 Structures Congress, pp. 2545-2554, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 2-4 May 2013.
- Kilic, S.A., Solution of Structural Mechanics Problems Using Iterative Methods, Advances in Civil Engineering Conference (ACE 2012), Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 17-19 October 2012.
- Kilic, S.A., ALE Mesh Sensitivity Simulations for Blast Perimeter Walls in Protective Structural Engineering, Computer Methods in Mechanics, CMM 2011 Conference, Warsaw Technical University, Warsaw, Poland, MiniSymposia MS3: Structures under extreme actions, 9-12 May 2011.
- Kilic, S.A., Smith, P.D., Behaviour of deformable blast walls for protective structural design, COST Action C26: Urban Habitat Constructions under Catastrophic Events, Final Conference, pp. 477-480, Naples, Italy, 16-18 September 2010.
- Kilic, S.A., Smith, P.D., Simulation of pressures behind rigid blast walls, COST Action C26: Urban Habitat Constructions under Catastrophic Events, Final Conference, pp. 481-486, Naples, Italy, 16-18 September 2010.
- Kilic, S.A., Simulation of Sloshing Effects in Cylindrical Tanks and Evaluation of Seismic Performance, Lifeline Earthquake Engineering in a Multihazard Environment, Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering (TCLEE), ASCE, pp. 1-10, Oakland, California, USA, June 28 - July 1, 2009.
- Gencturk, B., Kilic, S.A., Erdik, M., Pinho, R., Assessment of Stone Arch Bridges under Static Loading Using Analytical Techniques, ASCE 2007 Structures Congress, pp. 1-10, Long Beach, California, USA, 16-19 May 2007.
- Kilic, S.A. (principal investigator), Kritik Yapısal Sistemlerin Patlamadan Kaynaklanan Şok Dalgaları Altında Davranış Simülasyonları ve Hasar Azaltılması için Koruma Tekniklerinin Oluşturulması, ("Simulation of the Behaviour of Critical Structural Systems Subjected to Shock Waves Arising from Blast and Development of Protection Techniques for Damage Mitigation"), TUBITAK Project no. 2010-549 (107M002), funding support: 65,000 USD, successfully completed, 2010.
- Kilic, S.A. (principal investigator), Investigation of Sloshing Effects and Seismic Response of Metal Cylindrical Industrial Tanks, Scientific Research Fund, Bogazici University, Project no. 07HT102, successfully completed, 2013.
- Kilic, S.A. (participant member representing Turkey), COST Action C26: Urban Habitat Constructions under Catastrophic Events, Working Group 3: Impact and Explosion, European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST), European Research Council (ERC), European Union, Brussels, Belgium, 2007-2010.
- Kilic, S.A. (principal investigator), Katı Sıvı Etkileşimi Simülasyon Tekniklerinin Deprem Mühendisliğinde Uygulamaları, ("Use of Fluid-structure Interaction Simulation Techniques in Earthquake Engineering"), TUBITAK Project no. 2008-587 (105M332), successfully completed, 2008.
- ACI: American Concrete Institute, Michigan, USA.
- ASCE: American Society of Civil Engineers, Virginia, USA.
- CICIND: International Committee for Industrial Chimneys, Ratingen, Germany.
- IMO: Chamber of Civil Engineers, Istanbul, Turkey.
- CE 245: Mechanics (Undergraduate).
- CE 246: Strength of Materials (Undergraduate).
- CE 353: Steel Structures (Undergraduate).
- CE 651: Nonlinear Structural Analysis (Doctoral level graduate course).
Maintenance and Administration of the BOUN Dept. of Civil Engineering High Performance Computing Cluster (HPCC):
- 4 machines, 4 x 8 Intel Xeon 2.5 GHz processors, 256 GB of total RAM memory.
- 10 Gigabit Infiniband fast inter-connect switch with heat-resistant copper wires, 217 Gigaflops MPI-parallel performance.
- Software packages used: 64-bit LS-Dyna Explicit and Implicit FE solver; SMP (4 separate jobs; 8 processors ea.) and MPP (1 job with 32 processors via the Infiniband 10 Gigabit switch).
- Support from TUBITAK MAG through contract no. 107M002 is gratefully acknowledged.
- Click **here** for the cluster in its surroundings during a number crunching session. You can alternatively click the "cluster.JPG" image file down below.