Associate Professor, Full Time
+90(212) 287-2457; +90(212) 265-8488
|Ph.D.||Civil and Enviromental Engineering||Princeton University, NJ, USA||2011|
|M.S.||Civil and Enviromental Engineering||Princeton University, NJ, USA||2008|
|B.S.||Civil and Enviromental Engineering||Duke University, NC, USA||2006|
|Newton Visiting Faculty||University of Manchester, UK||03/2016-09/2017|
|Visiting Scholar||University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA||06/2014-09/2014|
|Post Doctoral Fellow||Princeton University, NJ, USA||06/2011-01/2012|
|Research Assistant||Princeton University, NJ, USA||06/2008-05/2011|
- Selamet S. (2017). Thermal Gradient Estimation due to Surface Heat Exchange in Steel I-Sections. Journal of Structural Engineering, 143(9): 1-1.
- Selamet S., Yolacan TF (2017). Çelik-Beton Kompozit Kat Döşemesi Yangın Dayanım Deneyi (Turkish). Teknik Dergi, Temmuz: 8007-8022.
- Selamet S., Bolukbas C. (2016). Fire resilience of composite floors with shear connections: Numerical investigation. Fire Safety Journal 81, 97-108.
- Selamet S., Bolukbas C. (2015). Fire performance of single plate shear connections in a composite floor system. Journal of Structural Fire Engineering, accepted.
- Selamet S., Garlock M.E. (2014). Fire resistance of shear connections. Fire Safety Journal, 68: 52-60.
- Selamet S., Garlock M.E. (2013) "Plate buckling strength of steel wide-flange sections at elevated temperatures" Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE 139(11): 1853-1865.
- Pakala P., Kodur V., Selamet S., Garlock M. (2012) "Fire behavior of shear angle connections in a restrained steel frame" Journal of Constructional Steel Research 77: 119-30
- Selamet S. and Garlock M.E. (2012) "Predicting the maximum compressive beam axial force during fire considering local buckling" Journal of Constructional Steel Research 71: 189-201.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M.E. (2010) "Robust fire design of single plate shear connections" Engineering Structures, 32(8): 2367 - 2378.
- Garlock M.E. and Selamet S. (2010) "Modeling and behavior of steel plate connections subject to various fire scenarios" Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE, 136(7): 897-906
- Selamet S, Onursal A (2019). Stability of Steel Portal Frames in Industrial Buildings under Natural Fire Conditions, International Civil Engineering and Architecture Conference (ICEARCH). Trabzon, Turkey.
- Jones M, Selamet S, Wang Y, Çalış M (2017). Fire safety of high-rise residential buildings: scope of fire engineering and comparison between UK and Turkish Practice, September, ASFE 2017.
- Yolacan TF, Selamet S (2016). Thermo-mechanical behavior of steel-beam concrete slab composite foors, September, ACE 2016.
- Gernay T, Selamet S, Tondini N, Khorasani NE, (2016). Urban infrastructure resilience to fire disaster: An overview. World Multidisciplinary Civil Engineering-Architecture-Urban Planning Symposium (WMCAUS) - Procedia Engineering, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Selamet S, Akbas E. (2015). Reliability risk assessment of high-rise buildings in case of fire. 2nd International Conference on Performance-based and Lice-cycle Structural Engineering (PLSE), Brisbane, Australia.
- Selamet S, Uzun M. (2015). A novel and efficient finite element software for heat transfer: FEHEAT. 1st International Conference on Structural Safety under Fire and Blast (CONFAB), Glasgow, Scotland.
- Selamet S., Ozdemir T., Bolukbas C. (2014). Fire Performance of Steel Shear Connections in a Composite Floor. 8th International Conference on Structures in Fire/ Shanghai, China
- Selamet S., Ozdemir T. (2013). Yüksek katlı yapılarda yangının çökmeye etkisi. TÜYAK 3rd Symposium on Fire and Security of Tall Structures, Istanbul, Turkey
- Selamet S. (2013). The impact of fire scenario to the collapse of a tall structure. SEMC Fifth International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Kilic S.A., Selamet S. (2013). Symmetric and asymmetric collapse mechanisms of a multi-story steel structure subjected to gravity and fire. ASCE Structures Congress: Bridging your passion with your profession, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Selamet S. (2013). Fire performance of an unprotected composite beam with semi-rigid end restraints. ASFE Applications of Structural Fire Engineering, Prague Czech Republic.
- Glassman J.D., Garlock M., Selamet S. (2012) "Shear buckling behavior of steel plate girders at elevated temperatures. Structures" Accepted for Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Structures in Fire (SIF), Zurich, Switzerland.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M. (2011) "A comparison between the single plate and angle shear connection performance under fire" ASCE Structures Congress: Don't Gamble on your Future, Las Vegas, NV.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M.E. (2010) "Local buckling study of flanges and webs in I-shapes at elevated temperatures" ASCE Structures Congress, pages 1592-1603, Orlando, FL.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M. (2010) "Improved details for fire-induced steel single plate shear Connections" ASCE Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Structures in Fire (SIF), pages 621-628, East Lansing, MI.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M. (2010) "Guidelines for modeling three dimensional structural connection models using finite element methods" In International Symposium Steel Structures: Culture and Sustainability, pages 351-360, Istanbul, Turkey. ECCS.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M.E. (2009) "Modified connection details for single plate steel connections under fire" ASCE Structures Congress: Don't Mess with Structural Engineers, pages 642-649, Austin, TX.
- Selamet S. and Garlock M. (2008) "Behavior of steel plate connections subject to various fire Scenarios" In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Structures in Fire (SIF), pages 139-149, Singapore.
Steel Structures and Design
Finite Element Method and Modelling
|Course Code||Course Title||Hours Per Week|
|CE 549||Structural Fire Safety: Theory and Applications||3 hrs. lecture|
|CE 58S||Advanced Behavior and Design of Steel Structures||3 hrs. lecture|
|CE 245||Mechanics||4 hrs. lecture|
|CE 246||Strength of Materials||4 hrs. lecture|
|CE 353||Steel Structures||4 hrs. lecture|
|CE 355||Structural Analysis||4 hrs. lecture|
|CE 502||Introduction to Finite Elements||3 hrs. lecture|
- TUBITAK - 114M791 "Kompozit Kat Yapı Sistemlerinin Ve Çelik Bağlantıların Yangın Dayanım Deneyi" Proje Performans Ödülü (2018)
- Newton Fellow and Visiting Professor at the University of Manchester, UK (March 2016 - September 2017)
- TUBITAK 2014 Award for European Union Funded FP7 Research Projects
- Academic Incentive Award by Boğaziçi University Foundation (BUVAK) for Academic Year 2013
- Visiting Scholar at University of California, Berkeley - Summer 2014
- Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship IIF (2013-2015) Evaluation Score: 4.99/5.0 - [Highest score achieved for research proposals in Turkey] Budget: 160,000 Euros
- Exclusively invited to collaborate and form a research agenda for BRFL fire testing facility at NIST (2011)
- Princeton University 1st Year Fellowship (2006-2007)
- Princeton Civil Engineering (CEE) Graduate Prize (2006)
- Acceptance and graduate fellowship support at Harvard University, MIT, Stanford University, Columbia University, and University of Stuttgart in Germany in 2006 -- (all declined in favor for Princeton University)
- International Honors Program at Duke University (2006)
- Pratt Undergraduate Research Fellowship at Duke University (2005-2006)
- Chi Epsilon (XE) National Civil Engineering Honor Society (2005)
- Helga Wilde Bessent Scholarship for German Language and Literature (2004)
- Delta Phi Alpha German Honor Society (2003-2006)
- Junior Scholar at Miami University, Oxford, OH (2001)